Saturday, 6 June 2015
's-Hertogenbosch is a railway station located in 's-Hertogenbosch in the Netherlands. The station and all services operating from it are run by the national Dutch train operating company. 's-Hertogenbosch station opened on 1 November 1868 as the northern terminus of the southern portion of the Utrecht – Boxtel railway with service south to Boxtel. Only in 1870 were the two parts of Line joined together, allowing for direct service to Utrecht Central. As the town was a fortress at the time, the station was designed with attack in mind; its wood truss construction allowed it to be dismantled or damaged with minimal waste. 's-Hertogenbosch station was further expanded upon the opening of the Tilburg – Nijmegen railway, making it an important railway junction. In 1896, the original station was replaced with a large brick structure. The station was relocated a few hundred metres south of the original, along with the realignment of the tracks to the west. The second 's-Hertogenbosch station was characterised by its neo-Renaissance style, with a second floor for railway employees. During WW II on 16 September 1944, the station caught fire and burnt down; it was never rebuilt to its former glory. A more modern, post-war building designed was erected in 1951. The remaining parts of the second building were incorporated, while the third station's canopy remains to this day. 's-Hertogenbosch was again rebuilt in 1998, with an extension of the roof to the other island platform. Much of the renovation consisted of an aerial walkway, the Stationspasserelle, connecting the roadways on either side of the tracks, and the removal of a special ramp to the platforms.
Eindhoven is a railway station located in Eindhoven, Netherlands.The station was opened on 1 July 1866 is located on the Breda – Eindhoven , Venlo – Eindhoven & Eindhoven – Weert railway lines. As such it is a major interchange station for train services in the southern Netherlands. Several Intercity trains and local trains call at the station.
Monday, 13 April 2015
Groningen is the main railway station in the city of Groningen. Locally, the station is also called Hoofdstation (Main Station). The station building which stands today was opened on 1 June 1866 and is on the Harlingen – Nieuweschans railway. The station has nine platforms and behind the station is a stabling point for many trains. From Groningen you can directly travel to places in Netherlands and in Germany.
The most famous portion of the death railway is Bridge 277, "the bridge on the River Kwai", which was built over a stretch of river which was then known as part of the Mae Kong. The greater part of the Thai part of the route followed the valley of the Khwae Noi River (Khwae: branch or tributary; Noi: small; Khwae is frequently mispronounced by non-Thai speakers as "Kwai", the Thai word for water buffalo). This gave rise to the name "River Kwai" in English. In 1960, because of the discrepancy between fact and fiction, the part of the Mae Klong which passes under the famous bridge was renamed as the Khwae Yai(English "big tributary").
Internationally famous, thanks the several motion pictures and books, the black iron bridge was brought from Java by the Japanese supervision by Allied prisoner-of-war labour as part of the Death Railway linking Thailand with Burma. Still in use today, the bridge was the target of frequent Allied bombing raids during World War II and was rebuild after war ended. The curved spans of the bridge are the original sections. A daily train is still following the historical route from Kanchanaburi to Nam Tok Railway Station.
The Amsterdam Central Train Station (Amsterdam CS) opened in 1889 and is located in the heart of the city. Amsterdam Centraal station offers train connections to many domestic and international cities. This centrally located train station gives you access to city trams, Travelling by tram in Amsterdam is a convenient and fun way to get around. 10 of the 15 tram lines operate from Amsterdam Central Station (CS). There are 2 tram stop areas just outside central station - one on the east side (for services going south and east, labelled A) and one on the west side (for services going south and west, labelled B). Tram Line No 4 is on the East Route between Amsterdam Station and Station RAI
The Burma Railway, also known as the Death Railway, the Burma–Siam Railway, the Thailand–Burma Railway and similar names, was a 415 kilometres (258 mi) railway between Ban Pong, Thailand, and Thanbyuzayat, Burma, built by the Japanese in 1943 in 1943, to support its forces in Burma during World War II. This railway completed the railroad link between Bangkok and Rangoon (now Yangon). The line was closed in 1947, but the section between Nong Pla Duk and Nam Tok was reopened ten years later in 1957.
Locomotive number 824 was built by Nippon Sharyo Japan in 1949 and is a 4-6-2 type and is used for a tourist train.